Public Works

Public Works

Public Works

The City of Gaffney Public Works Department, located at 503 W. Rutledge Ave., is made up of two separate divisions working together as a team to make the City of Gaffney safe, clean and aesthetically pleasing. These divisions include:

  • Sanitation Division
  • Streets Division

To contact the Public Works Department by phone please dial 864-487-8510.

To view and download a Work Order Form for the Public Works Department Click Here. Please complete the Work Order Form PDF, save the completed copy, and email it to or print the completed form and mail it to 503 W. Rutledge Ave., Gaffney, SC 29341.


Sanitation Division

The Sanitation Division offers a variety of residential services which include the following:
  • Curb-side removal of yard debris such as leaves, limbs, grass clippings, and similar items
  • Seasonal (Fall) Curb-side removal of leaves
  • Curb-side removal of “white goods” such as refrigerators, ranges, water heaters, freezers, dishwashers, trash compactors, washers, dryers, air conditioners, etc.
Please note the following when placing the above-mentioned materials for curb-side collection:
  • Yard debris limbs shall not exceed 8 feet in length.
  • No yard debris shall be placed curb-side as a result of work done by any contractor.
  • Yard debris and white goods must be kept separate at curb-side.
  • To learn more about the rules and regulation for curb-side collection, please read Section 26-31 and 26-32 of the City of Gaffney Municipal Code.
Household Garbage Collection

Please note, the City of Gaffney Sanitation Division no longer collects household garbage placed in roll-out trash containers. This service is now provided by Cherokee County. Residents should contact the Cherokee County Solid Waste Department at 864-487-8545 to set up or request information about residential garbage pickup.

For more information about Household Garbage Collection, please go to


About Seasonal Leaf Collection

The City of Gaffney Public Works Department is requesting the citizens’ help with our leaf collection. We are asking that residents place only leaves in their leaf piles. Please do not mix brush, construction debris, or other materials in leaf piles. This makes it very difficult for the leaf vacuums to pick up leaves. Brush and other debris will clog the vacuum hose and the crew has to stop and clean, which slows down the collection process. The City has brush tractors and trucks that pick up this type of debris. If we can keep these items separated, it would help speed up the leaf collection each year. Thank you for your cooperation.


Streets Division

Responsibilities of the Streets Division include:
  • Street maintenance and repair (including pothole repair) on City-maintained streets
  • Curb and gutter repair
  • City-maintained sidewalk repair
  • Right-of-way mowing within the City limits
  • Mowing of City-owned cemeteries
  • Storm water maintenance within the City limits (not private property)



Where do I get water, power, and sewer services?

The City of Gaffney does not offer the water, power and sewer services.  These services are provided by the Gaffney Board of Public Works, located at 210 East Frederick Street, Gaffney, SC.  (864) 488-8800.

How do I request repairs to streets and sidewalks?

The majority of streets in the City belong to the South Carolina Department of Transportation (SCDOT). All repairs for these streets are referred to the SCDOT.  To determine if a street is maintained by the SCDOT, please notice the black number signs at intersections (usually on the stop signs) or the state logo on the street name sign. The following logo can be found on streets signs for streets that are maintained by the SCDOT:

SCDOT/State-maintained Logo

SCDOT-maintained roads are numbered “S-11-###”. This number will help expedite your reporting. Please note that highways are also maintained by the SCDOT. Another resource for determining if a street is maintained by the SCDOT is the SCDOT Street Finder which can be found at SCDOT GIS & Mapping. Please call the SCDOT at (864) 489-2844 to request repairs to SCDOT streets.

The City of Gaffney, Streets Division performs repairs on all City-maintained streets. The following logo can be found on street signs for streets that are maintained by the City’s Streets Division:

City-maintained Logo

To request repairs to City-maintained streets, please click on the “Work Order Form PDF” link at the bottom of the page and follow the directions for submitting work order forms. You may also call the City Streets Department at (864) 487-8510 during normal business hours (7:00 AM – 3:30 PM, Monday – Friday) to request repairs.

What is the schedule for residential garbage collection?

To find out more about residential garbage collection, please go to the Cherokee County,  Solid Waste Management website or call  (864) 487-8545.

What is the schedule for residential yard waste collection?

Yard waste is typically collected once per week by the City of Gaffney Sanitation Division.

How can new residents get started with residential garbage collection?

New residents should call (864) 487-8545 to establish collection for garbage.

Will the City pick up large household items?

The City will pick up large household items such as furniture, mattresses, box springs, or discarded lawn equipment.

Will the City pick up discarded appliances?

Appliances such as washer, dryer, refrigerators and microwaves will be collected by the City.

Will the City pick up large tree limbs, logs, or stumps?

The City will pick up limbs no larger than 8 feet in length or 8 inches in diameter if generated by homeowner.  The City will not pick up contract work.  Contract work consist of capital improvements to property by contractors.  The City will not pick up tree stumps.

Will the City pick up paint cans?

Paint cans will be accepted for collection if the paint cans are empty or if they are dry with no fluid residue remaining.  If you have wet paint remaining in the can, it can be dried up with kitty litter or oil dry.  The dry paint container can be accepted for collection.

Where can I take things that the City will not pick up?

Cherokee County Landfill:  (864) 487-2537

Can the City pick up trash or garbage left by contractors?

It is the responsibility of the contractor to remove all trash and garbage.  Materials left by a contractor working for a homeowner cannot be collected.

Submitting a Work Order Form

Click the link below to view and download a Work Order Form for the City Public Works Department:

Work Order Form PDF

Please complete the Work Order Form PDF, save the completed copy, and email it to:

You can also print the completed form and mail it to:

503 W. Rutledge Ave., Gaffney, SC 29341


Subscribe Section